Kids Crafts -
Soil (with high clay content, do not use potting soil)
Containers (to mix soil and water)
Spoon (for stirring)
Objects to stir into soil (small sea shells, pieces of wood, leaves, rocks, nuts in shells)
How To Make It
- Fill a container half full of soil. Mix water with soil, stirring until you have a thick consistency so that the mud that can be molded or shaped by hand.
- Stir the object or objects into the mixture.
- Pour out onto wax paper placed on a cookie sheet. Now form a mudpie, making sure that the stirred-in objects are totally concealed in the mud.
- Place the mudpies on a window sill or outside so the sun can aid in the drying process. Let sit for a full day and overnight. Check after 24 hours to see if it is dried throughout.
- When thoroughly dry, take a mudpie and carefully break it open with your hands.
Back to Kids Craft Corner