2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 quarts milk
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In heavy 4-quart saucepan, with wire whisk, beat eggs, sugar, and salt until blended.
- Gradually stir in 1 quart milk and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon
well, about 25 minutes (mixture should be about 170 F to 175 F. but do not boil or it will curdle).
- Pour custard into large bowl; stir in vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and remaining milk.
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 3 hours.
- To serve, in small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat heavy or
whipping cream until soft peaks form with wire whisk, gently fold
whipped cream into custard mixture.
- Pour eggnog into chilled 5-quart punch bowl; sprinkle with ground nutmeg.
Back to Christmas Recipes