32 c Popcorn (about 1 1/2 cups unpopped)
4 c Sugar
1 1/3 c Light corn syrup
1 c Margarine or butter
1 t Salt
1 1/3 c Water
2 t Vanilla extract
1/3 c Confectioner's sugar
2 Cherry or raspberry flavor chewy fruit rolls
1/2 lb Green gumdrops
2 Purple gumdrops
3 Dark seedless raisins
- Place popped corn in a large open roasting pan and set in 225 F oven to
- In a 5-qt.Dutch oven over medium heat, heat sugar, corn syrup,
margarine or butter, salt and water to boiling, stirring constantly until
sugar completely dissolves.
- Set candy thermometer in place and continue
cooking, without stirring, until temperature reaches 250 F.
- Remove saucepan from heat; quickly stir in vanilla.
- Pour hot syrup mixture over popcorn, tossing to coat well.
- Set aside about
2 cups popcorn mixture for snowman's hat.
- Wearing clean rubber gloves (for
handling hot mixture), shape remaining mixture popcorn into 2 balls, one
- On large plate, place smaller popcorn ball on top of
larger popcorn ball to form snowman's body.
- Shape reserved popcorn mixture
into coneshaped hat; place on top of snowman's head.
- In a mall bowl, mix confectioner's sugar with 1 1/4 tsp water to form a
thick pasty frosting.
- Cut snowman's mouth from fruit roll; cut remaining
fruit rolls into strips.
- Attach strips around neck for scarf and on
- With frosting, attach 1 green gumdrop to snowman' face for
nose, and 2 purple gumdrops for eyes.
- With frosting, attach remaining green
gumdrops around base and on tip of hat. With frosting, attach raisins to
snowman's body for buttons.
Back to Christmas Recipes