1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup dark molasses
1/4 cup water
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Raisins or Currants (for decoration)
- Beat sugar, shortening, molasses. and water in a large bowl on low
speed until blended. Beat on medium speed 1 minute.
- Stir in
remaining ingredients, except raisins. Cover and refrigerate until
chilled, 1-2 hours.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Sprinkle
a cloth-covered surface lightly with flour; turn dough onto surface.
- Roll dough with a rolling pin until 1/4 inch thick. Cut with a 5
to 8 inch gingerbread kid cutter.
- Lift cookies carefully with a
large spatula onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Decorate cookies
with raisins. Bake until set, 8-10 minutes.
- Let cookies cool 3
minutes, then carefully remove from cookie sheet with a spatula.
- Cool; decorate with frosting if you like.
Makes about eleven 5 inch or six 8 inch cookies. Great for holiday
Back to -> Christmas Recipes or Kids Recipes