simple guidelines for
- Keep your real Christmas tree away from floor heaters, fire places, or other heat sources.
- Use only UL-listed lights, and no more than 3 strands linked together. Use miniature lights which have cool-burning bulbs.
- Turn off the Christmas lights when you sleep, or if you leave your home.
- Never use candles, even on artificial trees.
- Install a smoke detector or new batteries in the ones you have and test them!
- Use only outdoor lights outside your home.
- Never use indoor extension cords outside.
- Avoid overloading wall outlets and extension cords.
- Keep outdoor electrical connectors above ground and out of puddles and snow.
- Place candles in sturdy containers. Remember, hot wax burns kids.
- Extinguish candles prior to going to bed.
- Dispose of fireplace ashes into a metal container until cold.
- After parties, check around and under sofa and chair cushions for smoldering cigarettes.
- Install at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home.
- Have an operable fire extinguisher readily available.
- Don't let strangers in your home. Carolers can sing outside the door and you can always give them cookies on the front step when they are done singing.
Back to Play it Safe Online and Off