||Growing snow can be
Follow these simple
What You Need:
- Wide mouth pint jar
- White pipe cleaners
- Blue food coloring (optional)
- Boiling water (with adult help)
- Borax Laundry Detergent (NOT Boraxo soap)
How To Make It:
- Cut a white pipe cleaner into 3 equal sections. Twist the sections together in the center so that you have a "six-sided" star shape.
Pipe cleaners and string form a snowflake base for the crystals to grow on.
If your points are not even, trim the pipe-cleaner sections to the same length.
- Attach string along the outer edges to form a snowflake pattern. Attach a piece of string to the top of one of the pipe cleaners and tie the other end to a pencil (this is to hang it from).
- Fill a widemouth jar with boiling water. Mix borax into the water one tablespoon at a time. Use 3 tablespoons of borax per cup of water. Stir until dissolved, (don't worry if there is powder settling on the bottom of the jar). If you want you can add a little blue food coloring now to give the snowflake a bluish hue.
- Insert your pipe cleaner snowflake into the jar so that the pencil is resting on the lip of the jar and the snowflake is freely suspended in the borax solution.
- Wait overnight and by morning the snowflake will be covered with shiny crystals.